The appointment of Indonesia as OIC Centre of Excellence (COE) on Vaccines and Biotechnology Products:
The start of the establishment of CoE for Vaccines and Biotechnology Products was based on the adoption of Resolution No. 3/3-ICHM on Self-Reliance in Production of Medicines and Vaccines at the 3rdSession of the ICHM (Islamic Conference of Health Ministers) in Kazakhstan in 2011.
As a form of follow-up, the pharmaceutical and vaccine industries in OIC countries held a meeting in Dubai in February 2013 and recommended the design of short-term, medium-term and long-term programs that can be used as a reference for activities to support the resolution. The second meeting of the pharmaceutical and vaccine industry was held in Bandung in June 2013 and formalized the formation of the Vaccine Manufacturer Group (VMG) which is responsible for coordinating and following up on the program implementation.
At the 4thSession of ICHM in October 2013, Indonesia submitted itself as a Center of Excellence (COE) on Vaccines and Biotechnology Products for OIC member states. This is in tandem with Indonesia’s capacity as one of the only two countries in OIC that has WHO pre-qualified vaccine products.
In 2017, the 6th ICHM recognized Indonesia as OIC COE on Vaccines and Biotechnology Products and approved its TOR. The 6th ICHM also adopted Resolution No. 4/6-ICHM on Self-Reliance in Supply and Production of Medicines, Vaccines, and Medical Technologies.
The Center of Excellence (COE) on Vaccines and Biotechnology Products was officially launched in 2018 by the Minister of Health of the Republic of Indonesia. Its scope of cooperation includes building human resource capacity, technology transfer, and funding.
- Objectives and Expected Result of OIC COE
- To achieve self-reliance on vaccine and biotechnology production in OIC region
- To develop low-cost and affordable vaccines and biotechnology products for protection against diseases of global public health importance especially in OIC member states
- To partner with scientists, research institutions, and vaccine manufacturers from OIC member states and also collaborate with international institutions fortechnology transfer
- Disease burden and health economic studies to provide evidence of the demand for vaccines and biotechnology products.
- Building capacity in vaccines and vaccination amongst OIC member states
- Contact Us
- Email : email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel : (+62)21-5214873
- Address : OIC COE Secretariat, 8th floor of Adhyatma Building, H.R. Rasuna Said St., Block X-5 Kav. 4-9, Kuningan Jakarta 12950